Thursday 10 May 2012

Cool Assessment Activity: Word Fishing

Good For: Kindergarten/Grade One summative assessment of high frequency words

I had an LTO in a kindergarten class last year and I was looking for an engaging way to evaluate students’ knowledge of high frequency words. I transformed the water centre into a “fishing hole”. Students used their “fishing rods” (bamboo rods and string with magnets on the end) to catch fish. Each fish had a high frequency word written on its side. When students caught a fish I asked them to read the word out loud and then identify and stamp with a bingo dauber the same word on a worksheet.

I was just hoping to have an exciting way to assess popcorn words but students kept asking to “go fishing” after their assessment. It turned into a full-fledged centre that I kept open for almost the next month. After the first couple of days of this I was surprised and pleased to see that students had started to form fishing “teams” where one person would catch a fish and then call out the word to their partner who would find the word on the worksheet and stamp it. The students had turned my assessment activity into an even better learning tool than I thought possible.




No comments:

Post a Comment